Friday, September 26, 2008

Fingerprint Friday - Remembering my Daddy

There is a song by Steven Curtis Chapman that says:

I can see the fingerprints of God
When I look at you
I can see the fingerprints of God
And I know it's true
You're a masterpiece
That all creation quietly applauds
And you're covered with the fingerprints of God

Where do you see God's fingerprints? In nature? kids? animals? They are all around us!

Thank you to Pampering Beki for hosting this each week! Everyone is welcome to join. To see how to join, as well as find links to other Fingerprint Friday posts, visit Pampering Beki's blog.

********************************************************************

Sunday was my daddy's birthday. He's been gone since 1995 (he died at age 79) and I sure do miss him.

I was feeling really blue on Sunday, wishing I could spend some time with him. I wished I could say "Happy Birthday, Daddy!" and see his smile ... hear his little chuckle when he was tickled about something, usually a dog or cat or baby ... and be reassured that he knows how much I love him.

I went to church and in the middle of the sermon, the priest told a story to illustrate one of the day's readings. The story went like this: it was a man's birthday, and he bought his little girl a wonderful present, had it wrapped beautifully with a huge bow, and presented it to his daughter. She opened it, expressed her delight, and then asked, puzzled, "But Daddy, why did you buy me a present? It's YOUR birthday." Her daddy answered, "Because nothing gives me greater pleasure than seeing YOU happy."

That made me cry and cry. It seemed to be a message from my daddy, to live my life joyfully to the fullest because that's what makes him happiest, watching over me from Heaven.



Here is a photo of my mom, me at age 5 and my daddy on a trip to Florida. It's the only family trip we ever took (he was always so busy working), and the only picture I have of the three of us when I was a child. See what I think of my Daddy in this picture? I still feel the same.

5 comments:

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

This is such a beautiful tribute to your dad!! I bet he's smiling down from heaven as he reads this post! And I bet he never realized 'way back then' how truly special that gift to you would be!! Truly Fingerprints from God!

Rosebud Collection said...

What a lovely photo..I think it is beautiful.

Rebekah said...

Super sweet photo - what a treasure. Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Malicious Intent said...

I love that photo and how you are adoringly looking at him as if he was a superhero, and to you, he most likely was.

My birthday was on Saturday, so I guess we are both fellow Libras.
That makes your Dad super cool! :)

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Judy
This story has touched my heart. I lost my dad 20 years ago and also have special memories. There are days it seems like yesterday and other times it feels like a lifetime ago. Certain smells or situations can trigger a flood of memories. I cherish my memories and hold on to them. Thanks for sharing.